Monday, February 16, 2009

Do you Judge?

I guess my short answer is yes. Should I? Absolutely not according to Matthew 7:1-5 which reads:

1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Trying to not judge others or turning from judgement is hard. I too struggle with this. It came to fruition this past Saturday at an event at my church. The UMM (United Methodist Men) were serving breakfast. This young guy walks into the kitchen, he is wearing tight skinny jeans, a black t shirt, not sure what was on it, but I could not get past the lip ring, the black large earring cut into the actual lob of his ear and the all encompassing tattoos on both arms.

My first thought was who is this guy. My mind went and focused immediately on the tattoos and I couldn't help myself but thinking why would anybody do that to themselves? I thought about Scripture and that is says you should not tattoo yourself. See Leviticus 19:28 "You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the LORD,"My second thought was Lord, I am not supposed to do that, that is judge! I find out that this guy was a member of the contemporary Christian rock band playing the event at church. Wow what kind of Christian am I? I am sure my plank is greater than his speck.

I guess my old school, rural church upbringing and my flesh got in my way of loving and accepting all no matter what. I guess one could say a little legalism came out of me. Have you ever had that happen to you? Do you Judge? As much as I hate to admit it, I do. I have to ask God to forgive me and open my heart to be accepting of all people no matter what. Jesus was!

Let's say this prayer:

Father, I come to you today, knowing that I am a sinner who is prideful and often judge others. I know that one day, I will stand before you and you will judge me as I have judged others.

Lord forgive me for my judging heart and help me to turn from my judgment of others. Open me to embrace the diversity of your people for Jesus loved all and I seek to be more like him!

In his name I pray!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment