Saturday, February 14, 2009

Matthew 16:24-26

24 Then Jesus told his disciples, ‘If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. 26For what will it profit them if they gain the whole world but forfeit their life? Or what will they give in return for their life?

This verse for me carries a lot of weight and makes me think about my life and what I am I willing to do to follow Jesus Christ! What does it mean to deny myself and take up my cross? For those who want to save their life they must loose it! Wow how powerful a statement is that! But, the last verse really hits you in the heart, especially today in this modern day era of prosperity preaching!

The treasures and possesions we gain here on earth are nice. Don't get me wrong, I have stuff and like most people desire more stuff, but why and does it make us happy or do we still long for something else! If you still answered yes then you are a normal human being. However, possessions do not make use happy. Though I have heard by grandfather say it might make is easier.

I am like you and struggle between needs and wants. God will provide our needs such as food, clothing and shelter, all else is gravy or icing on the cake! We, as a people, have lost our focus as a country and have gone over the top with materialism. Again, God does provide us with gifts and talents so that we may support ourselves and our familes. My point is materila items cannot be at the forefront of who we are or what we focus on. Materialism can in and of itself become an idol and do you remember the commandments?

I could continue to write on this topic, but will cease for now. Place your trust in Jesus and make him a priority in your life not the stuff on the shelves in the store or on the car lot, for when the roll is called up yonder, it will be just you standing before God for an account of your life and he won't care how much you owned, how big your house was or what kind of car you had! Did you deny yourself and take up your cross and follow Jesus?

Seek to here these words! Well done good and faithful servant!

No comments:

Post a Comment